One of the first steps in finding your ideal freelance writer is identifying what type of writer you need. The answer to this will largely depend on your marketing and business goals. What type of content do you need? The following is a breakdown of some of the most common types of content writers/content writing in the freelance sphere. Use this guide to effectively form your team of writers, achieving every content related goal for your business:
Working With Freelancers: What Type of Content Writer Do You Need?
The Generalist or Copywriter
The best way to describe a copywriter is a jack of all trades when it comes to world of content composition. Freelance writers who bill themselves as generalists or copywriters are ideal for high-volume pieces or those that don’t require a huge amount of expertise knowledge. A freelance copywriter is ideal for website content or even blog posts that just need a general knowledge base to properly create. Other projects that are ideally suited for copywriters or generalists include the following additional project:
- Item descriptions for purchase in catalogs or on websites.
- Posts on subjects that can be easily researched utilizing online resources.
- General posts about your business or subjects that relate to your business used to generate website activity.
- Informational content that simply conveys information (you provide) to your customer base.
- Influential, sales like copy that educates buyers about a specific product or service. You of course can explain what your business does for your clientele.
An Expert In Your Field or Authority
This type of freelance writer can be harder to find. After all, if they are an expert in your chosen field, how likely are they to be writing for a living or even on the side? However, in some cases, writers will have real-life expertise on a subject and be able to implement their knowledge to create unique, one of a kind content for your business. Keep in mind, though, that some writers have gained expert knowledge of a subject throughout their writing career. Therefore, don’t dismiss a writer who doesn’t have real world experience if they have the ability to properly tap into your target audience. Procure an expert writer or authoritative writer for your business for the following purposes:
- In-depth how to pieces that give exact instructions on how to complete a task. It’s vitally important for the person giving these instructions to know what they are talking about. Of course, research can be done for additional content, but an expert writer can provide a unique approach to how to pieces.
- Pillar articles or posts for you blogs or websites that convey valuable information and educate site visitors. Think of legal articles that give correct, well researched and extensive information to potential clients or medical articles that includes actionable advice.
- Series of articles that go over in depth subject matter, educating readers and leading to more business for your company.
- E-books that extensively explore your niche specialty. This isn’t looking your area of expertise from the surface, but diving deeply into the subject matter and dissecting it piece-by-piece.
- Executive briefs that convey market specific information to other professionals within your field. This could include memos or inspirational or educational pieces that are designed to be read only among others within your business or field.
Another common type of writing you might find yourself in need of is one with a journalistic flair. Perhaps this writer will channel his or her inner Joseph Pulitzer. Yes, this is the man who is so famous for his journalistic contributions that there is now a famous prize awarded to the best of the best in journalism named after him. You might have heard of it. Many writers can take the style made popular by print journalists and use it to convey your business’s message. This can be in the form of a press release or simply an article written in journalistic style. These pieces will be factual but will also tell a story. They will often be written in third person and demand resources to back up facts mentioned. Many freelance writers have journalism backgrounds and are therefore an ideal fit for pieces that would benefit from a journalistic approach.
Social Media Expert
It’s very difficult for any business to thrive in today’s society without a social media presence. That is what makes a social media expert freelance writer so valuable. This person can successfully create social media ready content that will promote various aspects of your business and products. They will be able to properly utilize hashtags and links, all while succinctly conveying an actionable and poignant message.
In conclusion, all freelance writers are valuable to your business goals. However, properly combining a writer’s niche, abilities or knowledge with your business’s specific needs will lead to a match made in content heaven. Simply explore the types of writers outlined above and consider which type would best fit into your marketing plan. Consider creating an all-star team of writers from our pool of immense talent here at Writer Access and you are well on your way to building an unbeatable team of content creation. Contact us to get started.
Brandie P‘s career as a freelance writer spans several years and encompasses an abundance of niche specialties. Before beginning her writing career, she was an office manager and worked in the medical field. Her experience in these two fields have come in handy when writing topics pertaining to these fields.