Writers and coffee, they go together like peanut butter and jelly. From college-age poets to journalists trying to meet deadlines to the work-at-home mom writing about parenting techniques, professional writers everywhere turn to the spark of energy and tastiness of a cup o’ joe. However, sometimes that same old cup of Starbucks roast just won’t do. Next time you feel like a boost of caffeine, consider one of these alternatives to black coffee. You may find a new favorite!
- Black Tea – Black tea is what many people think of as “regular tea.” According to Fitday, drinking black tea can provide a number of health benefits. There are plenty of options out there for black tea including many flavored varieties. Teavana’s Golden Monkey Black Tea is highly caffeinated and has a slight cocoa undertone.
- Green Tea – Green tea is often in the news for its metabolism-boosting abilities. Drinking a cup of green tea each day is a nice alternative to coffee. Green tea is available nearly everywhere and in a number of flavors. You can use your Keureg coffee maker to brew a cup of Celestial Seasonings green tea with just a press of the button.
- Espresso Drinks – If you love a rich coffee flavor, but want something a bit more fun, why not try an espresso-based beverage. Starbucks is the place to go for a great latte, mocha or the ever-popular Caramel Macchiato.
- Iced Coffee – Don’t want to stray too far from your normal cup of coffee? Why not put it on ice! You can make your own iced coffee following a simple recipe or buy pre-made, flavored iced coffee from International Delight.
- Energy Drink – Choosing an energy drink is another alternative to coffee. Spend a few moments browsing the selection at any convenience or grocery store and you may be amazed by the options. For many, the “original” energy drink is Red Bull—which provides a boost of caffeine along with B vitamins and Taurine.
- Soft Drinks – Whether you call it a soda, soft drink or pop, there are plenty of carbonated, caffeinated beverages. For a big caffeine boost, Mountain Dew is always a popular pick. New flavors and varieties seem to come out regularly including the energizing Kickstart.
Just because you want a shot of caffeine to help you meet a deadline doesn’t mean you have to fire up Mr. Coffee again. If you can’t get ahold of one of these drinks today, why not try something new with your java? Add a little cinnamon, cocoa or vanilla for easy flavored coffee or add steamed milk for a homemade café au lait. While black coffee is a great go-to drink, you may inspire yourself as a professional writer by adding inspiration to your caffeinated beverage.
Tracy S is a freelance writer and blogger who is writing her first book. When she’s not glued to the keyboard she has her eyes glued to a sci-fi book, her mind glued on her pool game or has glue on her hands while working on a home improvement project.