It’s 2015 – where all we have to do to connect to family and friends is push a button on our wrist. No wonder today’s generation is catching so much flak for being lazy – everything we could ever want is just an arm’s length away.
Apple’s latest and greatest invention – the Apple Watch – opens a plethora of doors for what some may call the lazy consumer. This watch, along with other technical gadgets of today, provide many advantages for the consumer and, as a result, the entire realm of Content Marketing:
- An Increase in Engagement from the ‘On-the-Go’ Consumer – A lack of time is no longer a valid excuse for failing to keep in touch with family and friends. This is beneficial for the Marketer because consumers are now eager to stay up-to-date 24/7 – and we’re responsible for getting this content to them. The Apple Watch has built-in Bluetooth, the ability to manage and accept invites, and what Apple claims is ‘all day battery life’ – the flow of news and information is getting a much-needed make-over, one that makes getting content to the consumer much easier.
- Different Target Markets – One of the first steps to becoming a successful Marketer is understanding one’s target market. Apple went a step further and developed differing target markets for three versions of their new watch.
- As the name suggests, the Apple Watch Sport tries to appeal to the more active and younger consumer – with its sleek design that closely resembles the iPhone. This is also the most economically-smart option, as it retails for around $350.
- As seen in the aforementioned article, the Apple Watch is referred to as the middle-man from the collection, running $500+ in price and glistening in stainless steel casting-perfect for the working professional.
- Have an extra $10,000 to spare? Then the Apple Watch Edition is right up your alley – telling time will always be enjoyable when you read it in 18-karat gold.
- Brand Awareness- These new high-tech gadgets can lead to a better relationship with your target audience. Social media outlets will be more accessible than ever before, so feel free to advertise yourself or your business more frequently than usual – a greater response rate is almost guaranteed.
- Personalization- Companies are developing products that are unique to the individual consumer. This uniqueness helps us as Marketers direct our campaigns to different consumer outlets; be it the ‘sports fanatic’, or the ‘chic and sophisticated’. When the consumer spends money on a product or service (in the case of this new watch – a lot of money), he or she likes to feel special, and as marketers, we want to make sure our product matches the wants and needs of our customers to a T.
This is the age of mixed media, so don’t be afraid to take advantage of these new media platforms to let your content shine. Release your inhibitions and challenge yourself to post and share more; consumers will reciprocate with an abundance of ‘likes’, ‘shares’ and ‘retweets’ during anytime of the day or night. After all, we are talking about the ‘constantly-connected’ consumer.
Sarah Masessa is a college student currently studying in Boston. When she isn’t studying her life away in the library, she enjoys writing, reading, and catching the occasional concert or Red Sox game.