Barbara loves reading all types of books, so her writing specialties cover a wide range of genres. She can write intelligently about almost any subject, given the needed information, background, and requirements.
Barbara loves traveling, camping, hiking, fishing, photography, family, Yellowstone, grizzly bears, cooking, Oklahoma history, and genealogy.
Barbara was torn between two academic loves in college. As an undergraduate she majored in journalism and English, with a minor in education. She received an MA in modern letters from TU and an MA in journalism/mass communications from OU.
Barbara was employed as a technical writer in Wholesale Customer Service to produce a variety of brochures, manuals, and assorted documents. While employed as a communications specialist she accomplished the following tasks.
• wrote customer handbooks for Data Services, Voice Services, Calling Card, and Travel Card Products.
• wrote instruction manuals for Portfolio products, which included Private Line Order Management, LEC Tariff Database Reporter, Account Administration, Trouble Ticket Management Interface, and PIC Tool Status Verification.
• worked with Web developers and wrote copy for our Portfolio and Customer Service Web sites.
• created online order forms (and instructions), which can be filled out and emailed to order entry.
• wrote and helped design Helpful Hints in Written Communications for Customers, E-commerce, and Portfolio.
• wrote business requirements documents for several proposed products and services.
• co-organized National Customer Service Week, Take Your Child To Work Day, and helped plan and coordinate activities for our Adopt-a-School program.
Barbara was employed part-time as the Public Relations Coordinator for Tulsa Area Command.
In this position she completed the following assignments.
• wrote and edited newsletter mailed to 12,000 recipients
• interacted with local media in covering all Tulsa Salvation Army events
• wrote an instruction manual covering all facets of the public relations position
• worked with Web developers to restructure Web site and wrote copy for that site
• took digital photographs and manipulated them in Adobe Photoshop for publications
• worked with graphic designers on various publications
• edited materials written by other staff members
• planned and coordinated various campaigns and media events
Barbara wrote large amounts of web copy for six different entities. They ranged from The Salvation Army and MCI WorldCom to minor projects like NASCO. She enjoyed working on those projects, especially in areas of her expertise. Seeing the copy on a web page and many times seeing the improvements she had made to the web site was quite fulfilling. Another assignment she recently completed was writing an exercise manual for a client trainer who she worked closely with to make his technical explanations simple for a client to follow.