Gayle L is the author of "Dwelling in the Vast Divine: A Serialized Memoir."
The series is "a compelling Southern memory of a family as seen through the eyes of a child who found it safest to “hide and watch” the hapless adults around her as they succumbed to the chaos they’d created. Operating on primal impulses the family existed from one sordid crisis to the next. Luckily, for readers and listeners, as a grown woman the family “observer” developed into a self-aware, witty story-teller. She tells us the tale of her slow-motion escape to a new life in New York with painful clarity and a keen sense of irony. The author has written a disturbing, but achingly funny narrative about a family you won’t forget."
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
MAGIC CIRCLE OPERA REPERTORY ENSEMBLE, INC., New York City January 2012 and March 2014
Web Development and Social Media Marketing Director
Working closely with founders to re-assess physical and online presence for long established classical music company to extend and expand awareness of the ensemble.
• Developed a “map: for a compelling web destination that will reflect the depth of classical vocal training available from teachers with a combined fifty plus years of performance experience in the finest operatic venues.
• Modeled a Facebook page that integrated the various elements and past accomplishments of the organization with a vision of the future as it could be, including links to outstanding exceptional performances by seasoned instructors and students.
• Created materials to engage likely new students and put together a strategic plan for reaching out to those likely students.
ARTS OLYMPUS, New York City June 2010 to February 2011
A 501(c)3, has existed for over twelve years in more fragmented parts; it's longterm objective has been to assemble ethnic and indigenous performers for a fair of the arts at sea. The Executive Director was called upon to create institutional structure and functional business protocols that will allow it to emerge as a global philanthropic entity.
• Revised the website layout into a far more compelling and comprehensive web destination, with an opening "blast" that made it a far more interesting place to go.
• Created a Facebook page that integrated the arc of all the various elements and past accomplishments of the organization with a vision of the future as it could be, as well as providing links to the many first-rate performances and invested sponsors who have already joined in the vision, generating over 15,000 followers in less than eight weeks of activation.
• Engaged several very high-end potential sponsors in negotiations for partnerships envisioned to take Arts Olympus around the world.
• Compiled and generated a Corporate Business Summary, Financial Projections and Sponsorship Presentation, both online and in hardcopy, for worldwide distribution to potential sponsors.
• Brought the Arts Olympus its first international online media exposure.
OBAMA FOR AMERICA, East Texas 2008 Election Cycle
Community Organizer and Strategist
Enlisted to bring “big city” organizational and strategic campaign skills to the effort in an area that had had no significant Democratic political presence.
• Developed and executed comprehensive and diversified strategy to register new voters and “get out the vote” in heretofore unrepresented constituencies, increasing voter registration from 10% to 90% in those communities, with nearly 100% turnout by those newly registered voters.
• Personally designed and oversaw generation of literally thousands of previously non-existent pieces of campaign literature for the Presidential Campaign, as well as state and local Democrats, on desktop computer equipment for a fraction of the initially estimated costs.
• Concisely targeted distribution of campaign literature and advertising in unexpectedly effective venues.
• Took final responsibility for ensuring the accessibility of voters’ rights in a sometimes adversarial environment.
PROJECTS PLUS, INC., New York, NY 2004 to 2007
Assisted in fundraising and orchestrating guest participation in high profile events for such organizations as UNIFEM, The Boys’ Club of New York, Legal Momentum, The League Treatment Center, The American Foundation for the Blind, The Children’s Health Fund, and Cooper Union’s Urban Visionaries Benefit.
THE PEACEABLE KINGDOM, New York, NY 2003 to 2004
Audience Development Director
Orchestrated strategies to culturally and ethnically diversify the audience for a world-class fundraising event at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine benefiting The Parents’ Circle, an organization founded by Israeli and Palestinian families of young people killed in the ongoing Mideast conflict. Facilitated pro bono legal representation by an internationally recognized law firm.
2003 INDEPENDENT FEATURE MARKET, New York, NY 2003
Development Department Coordinator
Communications Facilitator for more than 200 domestic and international film sponsors at the world’s largest independent feature distribution market. Channeled branding materials, organized panels and directed high volume of inquiries. Intricately involved in special events, including the prestigious Gotham Awards, a black-tie dinner honoring outstanding achievement in independent filmmaking.
ROBERT A. BECKER, New York, NY 1994-2001
Extensive involvement in development for major clients including Effexor and Plavix. Part of the team responsible for media and print campaigns to launch numerous products and for rebranding others.