Your Guide To The Kansas City Writing Scene
Content writers are in high demand in Kansas City!
In the heart of the U.S. is Kansas City, and at the heart of Kansas City is a large pool of talented writers. The K.C. area grew by more than six percent between 2010 and 2017, drawn by a reasonable cost of living, business-friendly environment, and world-class entertainment venues like Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. The growing city has a desperate need for strong writers, professionals with the skills to help K.C. continue in its upward trajectory.
Making a Living as a Kansas City Writer
According to Glassdoor, a Kansas City- area content writer can expect to earn an average of $49, 329 annually. Kansas City copywriters make an average of $46,000 while medical writers can expect to make an average of $74,000.
As Kansas City businesses continue to grow, they require a never-ending stream of high quality, interesting, actionable content. The field of copywriting is expected to grow by 3.4% over the next five years.
One of the competitive advantages of writing for a living is the ability to work either part-time or full-time and to perform that work from any place in the world with Internet access. In fact, everything from applying for a job to submitting an assignment can be completed online.
Job market sites like Indeed, LinkedIn, and ZipRecruiter routinely list hundreds of Kansas City-area writing jobs. The brightest, most dependable writers can work with a single company or mix things up by freelancing with several companies at the same time.
Whether you write because you can’t imagine life without writing, love researching and learning about new things, or simply want a job that can be packed up and moved wherever you roam, Kansas City is full of opportunities.
Educational Opportunities for Writers to Advance in Kansas City
There are 41 colleges and universities in and around the Kansas City area, many of which offering writing programs for those determined to hone their skills.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Writing Studio. UMKC is committed to providing its students with the writing skills they need to achieve in school and the job market. Available to students at all levels (including graduate school), the Writing Studio offers a team of peer consultants focused on making everyone they work with become a stronger writer.
- Kansas City Art Institute. Learning your craft at the Kansas City Art Institute places you in good company, with fellow graduates like Dennis Hopper and Walt Disney, both of whom graduated from KCAI. The writer’s program allows you to work closely with accomplished writers and to develop the skills needed to shine on your own.
Writing Meet Up Groups in Kansas City
Kansas Citians are known for their friendly demeanors and how often they go out of the way to help others. In short, it’s the perfect place to meet up with other writers, to work on your craft, and to become the kind of writer you hope to be.
- Kansas City Writers Meetup Group. Hosts several weekly and bi-weekly critique groups, designed to provide you with real life feedback from other writers as well as introductions to bestselling authors, publishers, and agents. Ongoing schedule.
Kansas City Conferences for Writers to Consider in 2019
- Digital Summit Kansas City. You’ll want to be at the Overland Park Conference Center on May 15-16, 2019 for a conference designed to give you the confidence you need to produce all the digital content a company could possibly need to grow. Topics include content, writing for social media, brand storytelling, B2B and B2C marketing, data analytics, and conversion and engagement.
- The 2019 Kansas City Writing Workshop is offering a full-day “How to Get Published” event on March 30, 2019 at the Hampton Inn & Suites on the Country Club Plaza. This event is designed to help those who hope to have a book published, but many of the skills needed to make it as an author translate to other types of writing. You’ll learn about polishing your work, networking, and standing out from the crowd.
The Best Places for Writers to Write in Kansas City
It’s tough to deny the architectural beauty that makes up Kansas City. The great part of finding a tucked-away nook to adopt as a workplace is all the options you will have. Whether you prefer the quiet of a library, activity of a bookstore, or fresh java served by a friendly barista, KC has plenty of options. Here are a few:
- Barnes & Noble on Prairie View Road, north of the river
- Cafe de Amis on NW River Park Drive, in nearby quaint Parkville
- Bluestem on Westport Road
- The Rose Garden at Loose Park on Wornell
- Kaldi’s Coffee on the Country Club Plaza
Local Companies Hiring Kansas City Writers
There are few specialized skills in greater demand in Kansas City than writing. Whether you’re a copywriter, journalist, or editor, here are some places who need your talents:
Digital Marketing Agencies
Real freedom comes with working with digital agencies. Not only do you have the option of working from anywhere, but you are sure to experience the professional growth that comes with working in an ever-evolving field. Check out o few of KC’s best and brightest digital agencies:
- Graphicmachine, Inc.
- The Kansas City Marketing Agency
- EAG Advertising & Marketing
- Global Prairie
- Group 3 Solutions
- Writer’s Access. No false humility here; we’re listing ourselves first. That’s because our Boston-based business is a leading provider of writing services for more than 25,000 customers. Our strength comes from 15,000+ writers, editors, content (and business) strategists, and translators. We are expanding to five countries in the near future, meaning now is the perfect time to apply!
- nDash. An online platform specifically design to link writers up with the companies who need them. The draw for both writers and the companies that hire them is the way nDash encourages the two parties to develop a working relationship that can easily blossom into long term.
- IZEA Zen Content. A writing platform that has been optimized for high-volume content production. Boasts a strong base of Fortune 500 e-commerce customers.
Join the Ranks of Some of the Best Writers in the World!
Kansas City has long been an incubator for writers, with a storied history of producing talent. Great minds like Robert Altman, Calvin Trillin, and James E. Gunn all got their start in Kansas City. Are you next to join the list of KC-area writers who do what they love for a living?
Based in Kansas City, Dana G has been a newspaper and magazine reporter for over 20 years, with beats ranging from business to home decor, fashion, real estate and health. She’s written exclusively for SEO-driven websites for the past three years and excels in driving traffic in her client’s direction. Dana has four published novels and enjoys writing about the “everyday people” in life.