Your Guide to the Indianapolis Writing Scene
Indianapolis is home to Hoosiers who know how to work and play equally hard. And business is booming in the Circle City in every industry from manufacturing to high tech and all points between. As it happens, Indy is also a great marketplace for writers seeking out growth opportunities.
Making a Living as an Indianapolis Writer
Glassdoor ranks average pay for content writers at $36,000 annually with talented, in-demand writers earning considerably more. Especially among writers who supplement salaries and income with freelance writing roles.
In the midst of the Information Age it’s no wonder that writers are in high demand both close to home and globally. Businesses of all shapes and sizes require the help of writers to help them with their website copy, business brochures, email marketing, blog postings, product descriptions, marketing materials, press releases, advertising scripts, and more.
The World Wide Web is the marketplace of the future. This means there is a growing need for writers who can bridge the gap between companies and their target audiences. Enterprising writers will find no shortage of staff writing positions available throughout Indianapolis as well as freelance and staff writing “gigs” available online through resources like ZipRecruiter and SimplyHired.
Educational Opportunities for Writers to Advance in Indianapolis
Indianapolis is home to many great colleges and universities that offer comprehensive writing programs for students. Some of the superstars among students are:
- Indiana University-Purdue University – Indianapolis (IUPUI)
- Butler University
- University of Indianapolis
- Marian University
That is in addition to many great online schools and university programs that can help you advance your skills as a writer.
Writing Meet Up Groups in Indianapolis
- Pen to Paper. A self-proclaimed “coterie of misfit writers,” offers a steady range of meetups for writers and other creative types.
- Indianapolis Writers’ Meetup. Group offers weekly meetups and critiques along with other social occasions and meetups for members as well.
- Indy WordLab. This monthly meetup takes place at Metonymy Media and is hosted by Managing Editor for The Saturday Evening Post, Andrew Hollandbeck.
Indianapolis Conferences for Writers to Consider in 2019
- 2019 American Medical Writers Association Indiana Chapter Conference. April 5-7, 2019, at the Ruth Lily Learning Center Auditorium. With the theme “Elevate Your Platform…Invest in Your Medical Writing and Communication Career,” the three-day conference aims to help advance medical writing careers while helping writers make vital connections within the industry.
- Indiana University Writers’ Conference. June 1-5, 2019. Indiana University Campus. Bloomington, IN. Just a short drive from Indianapolis, the US Writers Conference is open to writers of all skill levels and offers a variety of classes and workshops in fiction, poetry, and more.
- Writing for Your Life Spiritual Writers’ Conference. March 12-14. Christian Theological Seminary. Indianapolis, IN. Offering practical advice and inspiration to help spiritual writers to “Get Unstuck!” in their writing businesses.
Workshops, Classes and More for Writers in Indianapolis
- Midwest Writers Workshop 2019. July 25-27, 2019. Alumni Center, Muncie, IN. Three-day conference that brings together professional authors along with industry professionals to share their experience, advice, and expertise. Topics covered include fiction, mystery, YA novels, nonfiction writing, and more.
- Magna cum Murder Crime Writing Festival. October 25-27, 2019. Columbia Club. Indianapolis, IN. A premiere event for mystery writers or this who wish to break into the genre, this conference is designed to help writers move beyond their own expectations and take their books from printers to publishers.
The Best Places for Writers to Write in Indianapolis
There is no shortage of great places to go in Indianapolis to find inspiration for your writing, watch people, and immerse yourself in content fodder. From favorite cafes and coffee shops like Foundry Provisions in Downtown Indy and Monon Coffee Co. in Broad Ripple to your favorite Panera Bread location and beyond. These are some of the more inspirational hotspots for writers to hang out in Indy.
- Writer River State Park
- Indianapolis Children’s Museum (it’s not just for children there is also a branch of the Indianapolis Public Library Inside the museum’s InfoZone). Buy an annual pass and visit daily for a dose of creative inspiration.
- The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park. While there is no Wi-Fi, the scenery is inspiring.
Community Groups for Writers in Indianapolis
- Central Indiana Writers’ Association. Local group that seeks to encourages writers while helping them fine-tune their crafts. Offers educational and social events throughout the year and invites guest speakers to visit.
- WordWrites Guild. Guild meets on the second Thursday each month in the Depot Room of the Lawrenceburg Public Library and on the fourth Thursday of every month in the Ewbank Room of the Lawrenceburg Public Library from 6:00-8:00 PM.
- Indiana Writers Center. Offers a variety of classes and events to help writers of all levels improve their skills, network, and develop greater confidence in their writing.
Local Companies Hiring Indianapolis Writers
Writers are in demand throughout Indianapolis and that demand will only grow in time as startups and established businesses alike seek the time and talents are area writers. Whether you’re seeking full-time work or prefer the freedom of freelance and contract work, there is a world of opportunities available for Indy-area writers. Companies like Viral Launch, Genesys, and others are always seeking talented writer to join their staff and freelance opportunities abound.
Digital Marketing Agencies
Don’t forget to seek out opportunities of your own. Digital marketing agencies may not always be advertising for writers. That doesn’t mean they aren’t always in the market. Reach out and make connections of your own with local digital marketing agencies including those listed below.
- WriterAccess. We are a Boston-based content service provider that hires writers from across the country, including Indianapolis. We currently service more than 25,000 customers providing access to well over 15,000 writers, editors, content strategists and translators. WriterAccess is always looking for professional writers to add to our talented pool. With planned expansions to five new countries taking place over the next few months, WriterAccess is opening a doors (and windows) to a world of opportunities for writers.
- ClearVoice. A digital marketing platform that connects writers with opportunities to build their own writing brands, strengthen resumes, and write for growing brands.
- Skyword. Skyword provides opportunities for a wide range of freelancers, including freelance writer to connect with major brands searching for people with their skills.
Join the Ranks for Some of the Best Writers in the World!
Indianapolis writers are in excellent company. Among the ranks of great writers who call Indy home are Kurt Vonnegut, John Green (who wrote The Fault in Our Stars), Booth Tarkington, and more. More importantly, businesses of all shapes and sizes have access to the best and brightest Indy writers through WriterAccess. Hire one of our talented Indianapolis writers today!
Andrea is an excellent researcher and can write in a casual, informal, or formal voice. Her writing really shines when writing casual-voice articles that are both informative and entertaining.
She has dedicated her time to and attention to writing on topics such as real estate, travel, business, marketing, Internet marketing, work from home, work/life balance, health and fitness,human resources, insurance, and technology.