Your Guide To The Colorado Springs Writing Scene
Nestled against the foothills of the Central Rocky Mountains and under the shadow of majestic Pikes Peak, you’ll find plenty to inspire your writing here in Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is the second largest city in Colorado; it’s easy to see why a bit less than half million people call this city their home. The views are spectacular and the city boasts a vibrant writing community.
Making a Living as a Colorado Springs Writer
According to Glassdoor, Colorado Springs writers can make an average of $45,994 annually, which is 6 percent below national average. Copywriters in Colorado Springs make more money at $50,540 per year, but this is 16 percent below national average. Content Marketing Managers earn 13 percent below the national average at $70,918 per year. The cost of living is higher than the average, as Sperling’s rates it as 112.9 (average is 100), with an average home price of $272,100. Housing and transportation are what drives the cost of living up here; everything else is below average in prices.
Colorado Springs is well-known for its military bases with about one fifth of those employed working in some capacity for the military. Fort Carson (US Army), the United States Air Force Academy, Peterson Air Force Base, and NORAD (North American Air Defense Command) employ both soldiers and civilians. Colorado Springs also has a large tech industry which includes at least 18 aerospace, electronics, and other tech companies. These companies often hires contractors to fulfill jobs, including copywriting and content writing. The third big industry in Colorado Springs is tourism with Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, Cave of the Winds, Pike National Forest, and famous hotels, such as the Broadmoor Hotel. Each year, tourism brings in $1 billion dollars into the Colorado Springs economy.
Writing jobs in Colorado Springs include full-time, part-time, and freelance jobs. Indeed and Glassdoor typically list between 15 and 30 jobs at any time for writers looking to make a living. Jobs are competitive here, but writers can and do make a good living in Colorado Springs.
Educational Opportunities for Writers to Advance in Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs is home to the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Colorado College, Webster University, Colorado Tech University, and a host of other universities and colleges that allow you to expand your writing abilities. Many colleges here are geared toward the tech side, so you may find many colleges emphasize technical writing, since it is a popular profession here. The University of Colorado does offer an English major for those looking for a broader emphasis.
Writing Meet Up Groups in Colorado Springs
- Colorado Springs Writers’ Workshop ongoing. This workshop is an extension of the Long Beach Writers’ Workshop. They’re a small group with the goal of motivating writers to complete the works they’re writing.
- The Pen Drop Coffee Break ongoing. This group meets every Tuesday and is open to anyone writing or wanting to write. Meet with other writers for conversation and coffee.
Colorado Springs Conferences for Writers to Consider in 2019
- Write Your Heart Out, February 23, 2019, 1-5 PM, 5580 Tech Center Dr, Colorado Springs, CO. Join the Pikes Peak Writers for a free half day conference to give you a taste of Pikes Peak Writers Conference. RSVP is required and space is limited.
- Write In The Springs – ACFW Colorado Springs Christian Writers Conference, Apr 6, 2019, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, 7740 Deer Hill Grove, Colorado Springs, CO 80919. Features James L. Rubart, bestselling author and award-winning writer, in Dream Big & Write Powerful Stories.
- Pikes Peak Writers Conference, May 3-5, 2019, Colorado Springs Marriott, 5580 Tech Center Dr, Colorado Springs, CO. The Pikes Peak Writers Conference is three days of writing workshops, talking to editors and publishers, and networking.
Workshops, Classes and More for Writers in Colorado Springs
- February 2019 Writers’ Night, Feb 25, 2019, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, Tap Traders – Atrium (back room) 3104 N. Nevada Ave, Suite 100 Colorado Springs, CO 80907. Two hours of networking and conversation, topics set by the participants.
- March 2019 Open Critique, Mar 05, 2019 at 6:00 PM and Mar 06, 2019 at 8:30 PM, Falcon Police Station 7850 Goddard St., Colorado Springs, CO 80920. If you’re looking to have another set of eyes on your work, this is the place to bring it. You’ll need to bring eight copies of eight consecutive manuscript pages to review. You will also be asked to review other people’s work.
- March 2019 Write Drunk, Edit Sober, March 13, 2019, 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM, Bar K 124 E Costilla St. Colorado Springs, CO 80903. Ongoing, second Wednesday of every month. Improv writing with critiques.
- March 2019 Writers’ Night, March 19, 2019, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, Tap Traders – Atrium (back room) 3104 N. Nevada Ave, Suite 100 Colorado Springs, CO 80907. Two hours of networking and conversation, topics set by the participants.
- April 2019 Open Critique, April 03, 2019 at 6:00 PM and Mar 06, 2019 at 8:30 PM, Falcon Police Station 7850 Goddard St., Colorado Springs, CO 80920. If you’re looking to have another set of eyes on your work, this is the place to bring it. You’ll need to bring eight copies of eight consecutive manuscript pages to review. You will also be asked to review other people’s work.
The Best Places for Writers to Write in Colorado Springs
There are many great places for you to write in Colorado Springs. In many cases, you can find the perfect writing spot in a coffee shop like Starbucks. But if you’re tired of the same old place, check out these popular writing spots:
- The Perk Downtown
- The Wild Goose Meeting House
- Agia Sophia
- Tap Traders
- The Penrose Library
- Peak Place Coffeehouse
Community Groups for Writers in Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs is teaming with writing groups. Some require membership, but some are free and available for socialization, writing meet-ups, and networking. Even if you don’t belong to one of the membership groups, these associations frequently offer free seminars and workshops, so you just might find something with them.
- Pikes Peak Romance Writers
- National League of American Pen Women – Pikes Peak Branch
- Pikes Peak Writers
- East Creative Writing Group
- 21st Century Writers (Library 21c)
- Life Circles (Monument)
Local Companies Hiring Colorado Springs Writers
With so many tech and aerospace companies here in Colorado Springs, chances are you might see jobs for technical writers. Other type of writing jobs may be related to the travel industry, so you can possibly find a content niche or copywriting job here.
Digital Marketing Agencies
Colorado Springs isn’t known for their digital marketing agencies that provide content to their customers. There are, however, a few agencies that may be looking for writers. These include:
WriterAccess. We’re a Boston-based business and leading provider of writing services for more than 25,000 customers. We have more than 15,000 freelance writers, editors, translators, and content strategists.
Join the Ranks of Some of the Best Writers in the World!
When you’re looking for a place that treats you, the writer, as the very best, come to WriterAccess and join the best content writers in the world. We’re expanding to five other countries. APPLY NOW!
Maggie B is a professional, multiple award-winning writer and editor of more than 30 books and more than a thousand articles. She earned her Master’s Degree in Liberal Studies with an emphasis in creative writing at the University of Denver. She has written articles on science, pets, sustainability, hunting, technology, outdoors and recreation, food, writing, publishing, careers, and other topics. She is the publisher for Sky Warrior Books and Garnet Mountain Press.