Yo Dawg!* I heard you like writing about writing, so I decided to write an article about writing about writing. Whew.
Of all the topics that you can write about in your freelance career, few are as personal, yet overwhelming, as writing about the content writing industry. However, on your quest to become a well-rounded freelance website content writer, you may find yourself in a situation where you have to write an article about writers, one that gives advice to writers or one that explains some of the ins and outs of the industry. If you are facing one of these Yo Dawg! moments, the following tips can make it much easier to get started and create something that makes a difference in the very industry that pays your bills.
- Get Your Facts Straight – Facts about the common cold, pregnant cats and growing lilies may not change very much from year to year, but in the world of content marketing things change from a week to week basis. Always use up-to-date data so you are providing valuable information to your readers.
- Opinions Matter Too – Many subjects you’ll write about will not be 100% fact based. If it is appropriate, don’t be afraid to share your opinion. A growing writer can learn a lot by reading what a more advanced writer has to say on a subject.
- Make it Easy to Digest – Your target reader probably reads a lot of blogs, eBooks and other information about writing. Do what you can to make your content easy to navigate and read. Your words are more likely to be remembered.
- Bland is Bad – Since you’re writing about a subject that is covered by some of the best journalists, writers and minds in the business, you don’t want to create something boring. It will never stand up against the competition.
- Proofread, Proofread, Proofread – There is no harsher critic than another writer—believe that!
- Ask for a Byline – While you may not always get it, this is one topic where it pays off to have that byline. Potential clients will see your piece and see you as an expert!
Writing about writing can be a very rewarding experience and is a great way to gain exposure for your other work at the same time. Don’t be afraid to dive in and tackle this subject. Put a little content writer into your content writing and write some content!
*Xzibit (Alvin Joiner) is a multi-talented Celebrity. Releasing songs such as “What U See is What U Get,” appearing in movies like “Gridiron Gang” and “The Country Bears” and of course his role on MTV’s hit series “Pimp My Ride” has catapulted him into stardom. However, many people best know him for starring in a series of internet memes often referred to as the “Yo Dawg!” memes. These memes feature “more” of something being put into something—for example, an Oreo cookie that is filled with a cookies and cream filling would be displayed with a small photo of Xzibit and his “Yo Dawg!” catchphrase. This came about because of Pimp My Ride’s reputation for putting more bass in the bass and more power in the power of the rides which are pimped. Like many internet memes, they are often only amusing to those who create them and to those who hang out in that strange corner of Reddit that no one likes to visit.
Tracy S is a content writer and blogger who specializes in home improvement related topics. When she’s not working, Tracy loves playing pool, watching cheesy reality TV, spending time with her family and dreaming of the beach.