What People Look for in a Real Estate Writer
Real estate is an important part of the economy. Some people invest their money in real estate to retire one day in the future, while others make a lifetime career out of it. Behind every real estate agent is an accomplished real estate writer. Anyone seeking a career as a real estate writer or seeking to hire real estate writers for a project should know what makes an accomplished writer.
What to Look for in a Real Estate Writer:
- You should look for a person who has experience and a clear knowledge of the real estate sector. This person may have at one time been a real estate agent. They may even hold a current real estate license. You can check to see if they have a current license by heading on over to The ARELLO.COM International Licensee Verification Database system. If they have a real estate license, you will be able to find out about their experience and knowledge of the industry.
- Your desired writer should also be able to write about a number of real estate topics. Some topics may include: real estate investing, web copy, sales, preparation for home sales and financial related content pieces.
- Take a look at some of their writing samples to see if any of them fit the style that you are looking for. They should be able to mix their knowledge of the industry with correct grammar.
What to Look For as a Real Estate Writer:
If you are seeking a career as a real estate writer, there are some things that need to be true of your background.
- You will want to have a strong background in real estate. The real estate market is an ever changing environment that demands that writers and agents stay knowledgeable by attending seminars and constantly reading. You may want to keep a record of all the books you have studied and seminars that you have attended for reference.
- Keep an updated portfolio of a variety of industry related topics that you have written on.
- You may also want to study various writing styles. Some pieces will have to be written in a certain format. If you know how to write using different styles, then you are more likely to get hired as a writer.
- Try and get familiar with the area that you will be writing about. Real estate is more than just homes and buildings; it is also about the people and culture that make the property what it is.
Joshua W is a freelance writer available on WriterAccess, a marketplace where clients and expert writers connect for assignments.