What is TikTok? Should You be Using it For Business Marketing?
If you know anyone under the age of 20, you likely have at least heard of TikTok. Perhaps you have wondered what this funny sounding phenomenon is all about. To put it directly, TikTok is a social media app applicable for both Android and iOS, used by those in the know to create and then subsequently share talent, comedy or lip-sync videos. It was first launched in 2017 and now boasts 500 million active users, who view more than a million videos on a day-to-day basis. TikTok is now considered the most popular social media platform in the world, bigger than Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and even Snapchat. What does that have to do with content marketing or business promotion you might ask? Well, just consider the millions of potential customers you can reach by utilizing this platform for business purposes. Read on to learn more about how you can implement the app for business marketing endeavors:
More About TikTok
Before looking into how you can use this as a marketing tool, it’s important to understand the basis of the app. TikTok users, in addition to what’s listed above, can do the following:
- View and search through millions of videos, from all over the world.
- Can include in-video text, filters and special effects.
- Can select music tracks from the huge library that they can then add to their videos.
Because of what can be done with the app, TikTok is a great way to create sharable, original, educating and entertaining content that will prompt users to share your content.
First Consider Your Target Audience
Determining if TikTok would be a useful content marketing tool for your business requires you to identify your target audience. For example, are the potential consumers you want to reach already using social media already? If you can answer yes to this question, then you are wasting a valuable resource by not incorporating TikTok into your content marketing strategy. Now, on to how to actually use this tool for marketing purposes…
How to Use TikTok For Business Marketing
- Upgrade to Pro Service: There is a pro version of the app, and if you are going to use this as a marketing tool, primarily, you will want to upgrade to a business account. This upgrade comes with valuable data analytics, showing how each piece of content you posted is performing.
- Answer the Following Questions: Once you have upgraded to a business account, it’s time to get creative and formulate a video worthy of sharing. As a prompt for this process, answer the following questions:
- How can you use TikTok as part of your existing marketing plan?
- Who is your audience?
- What are your goals for this marketing tool, what do you need to achieve to consider it a success?
- What are you promoting?
- How will people find and then view the content you post?
- Promote Your Content: To ensure your video stands out among the millions of other videos, make sure you use hashtags to your advantage. Eventually, TikTok plans on offering paid ads to promote specific videos, but it’s not ready yet. In the meantime, go hashtag crazy. As an example of this, consider the company Guess. They began using TikTok to promote their brand in 2018 and partnered with the platform. Consequently, when users logged into their TikTok account, they are directed to create entertaining content, prompted by the hashtag #InMyDenim challenge.
- Understand Hashtags Are Vitally Important: You have already learned how important hashtags are to users finding your videos. Keep your location in mind, if applicable. Use local hashtags, and build brand awareness within your own local area. Keep in mind what users will want to see and describe the content via hashtags, much like is done on Instagram.
- Share, Share, Share!!!: Share your TikTok videos on your other social media platforms, in newsletters, emails, and profiles. Share away! More than you even think possible, on all outlets. Even if readers or customers don’t have a TikTok account, they can still click on your videos and view them.
A vital aspect of running a successful business is proper promotion and marketing. In today’s society, that has to include social media, which is how many people communicate, share and socialize. To ensure your business is at the cutting edge of all trends, marketing wise, consider hiring one of the many freelance writers here at WriterAccess. Contact us to learn more.
Brandie P. has enjoyed freelance writing as a profession for almost a decade. She believes well written content can give any website or business an edge over their competitors. Therefore, she strives to maintain a level of professionalism in her work that will consistently elevate her clients and hopefully increase their revenue, reach and even reputation. She is happy to work with you today on your next project and especially values making long-term client/writer relationships.