Whether you are passionate about not using chemicals around children, or powering your entire home with solar power, entering the green living writing niche isn’t always an easy one. There’s plenty of competition. It also takes a lot of know-how to maintain a constant level of excellence in the field. So the question is, what can you do to build a successful career in this field?
Tips that Work
If you think that the 243 million tons of trash generated in the United States in 2009, according to the EPA, isn’t enough, it may be time to become vocal on the subject. If you want companies that hire green living bloggers to consider you, consider these tips:
- Develop a passion for the industry and stick to it. That means consistently updating and maintaining your education in this field.
- Start your own blog with the goal of educating others about the topics that interest you the most. Use it as a way to prove your skill to those who may hire you to be a green living blogger down the road.
- You can network with other green living bloggers, as well as popular websites, in the niches that interest you. You may even want to guest post on a few blogs to get your name on the web in this field.
- Join sites that hire green living bloggers. This will give you the formal writing experience to help you to launch your career.
- Comment on blog posts and include links back to your educational content on your own blog in the comment’s section. Those who read the blogs or forums with your comments have a way of finding you.
- Develop connections within the local community, too. You may be able to offer a piece for your local paper. Use this byline as a tool to help you land new clients.
- Work to find leads in the green living niche. Specific topics may include natural health, organic gardening, environmental protection tips, at home tips for green living or even beekeeping. Narrow your focus.
Ultimately, the best way to launch yourself in this field and to do well is to be passionate about it. Do you have it in you? You will if you put the time into developing your writing and research skills.
Sandy B is a freelance writer available on WriterAccess, a marketplace where clients and expert writers connect for assignments.