Setting Up Your Google+ Writer’s Profile
Have you searched for information on Google lately? Chances are you’ve noticed that sometimes an article or blog post will appear in the search results that displays a small image of the author next to this. The reason this occurs is because the author has joined the Google Authorship program. This makes content feel both more personal and authoritative—plus, for a professional writer, it provides notoriety. Website content writers at all levels can benefit from this program. The first step at getting this set up is creating a Google+ profile. This guide will spell out the basics and help you get started.
- You need a Google account before you can do anything else. If you already have one because you use Adwords, Gmail or other products, you are ready to go. If you need to sign up, the process is simple. Google will simply ask for some basic information and require you to verify your phone number and/or email address.
- Next, you will want to add a profile picture. If you are using your Google + profile as part of the authorship program, you will want to use an image that is professional in nature—remember, it will show up in Google search results!
- You’ll next be given options to help you connect with people you know. This may include those from your Google email account, Yahoo or Hotmail address books. When you connect with someone, he or she is given the opportunity to connect back, which increases the audience for your posts.
- After you’ve done the required sections, you can start filling in further information. These sections are optional, but you may wish to share your employer, education and contact information. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for those who know you to find you and get in touch with you. This is also where you will put links to any webpages or blogs you own or write for, connecting your accounts.
- Finally, you can personalize your Google+ profile by adding a background image and including an introductory message. This makes your profile feel more personal and gives visitors a glimpse into who you are.
Today, social media is more important than ever, and Google+ is quickly becoming one of the biggest places to connect with employers, co-workers, customers and friends. Spending a little time to build a profile will give you a leg up on other website content writers when your image and a link to your profile shows up in the search results.
Tracy S is a freelance writer available on WriterAccess, a marketplace where clients and expert writers connect for assignments.