Industry Events That All Content Strategists Should Pay Attention To
Content strategists are constantly on the hunt for the best, emerging, and longstanding industry conferences that they can attend to glean helpful tidbits from established experts and thought leaders. As a pack, we are typically prone to planning ahead of time. However, some of us (myself included) are habitual procrastinators who often forget about the second half of the year. We attended CMC 2019 and promptly forgot to look ahead because we are so busy implementing all of our recently acquired knowledge. The good news is that the following post will help you jump start the second half of 2019, so that you can end on a high note as you eagerly strive to meet year-end marketing goals.
Marketing Events In July
July’s marketing events run the gamut from influencer inspired to established SEO powerhouse.
- Who: VidCon is arguably the largest multi-genre online video conference of its kind. It is meant for digital video fans, creators, executives, industry representatives, and brands
- What: For the 9th annual conference, VidCon will focus on influencer marketing. Baby Boomers and GenXers will have to leave their cringes at the door as they seek to learn more about the social media driven world of influencers and how their organizations can continue to capitalize on this niche resource.
- Where: Anaheim, Calif.
- When: 7/10/19 – 7/13/19
- Why: Discover what the far-reaching impacts of creating a viral video. Come to think of it, you’ll gain the latest insights into viral videos (by definition viral seems to have changed over the years). You’ll learn from an eclectic mix of creators and influencers who have made (and continue to make) their notorious marks across a range of industries.
- Who: Brand marketers and executives who are still adjusting to the seismic shifts within the industry.
- What: Brand marketing insights from Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 consumer facing companies.
- Where: Napa Valley, Calif.
- When: 7/15/19 – 7/17/19
- Why: Hear from the top marketers at NHL, WeWork, Dunkin’, and others who have had to overcome the odds to regain control as direct-to-consumer brands continue to stay one step ahead of their competitors.
- Who: SEO gurus, agencies, executives, and anyone with the word “marketing” or “marketer” in their job title.
- What: SEO and mobile taught by one of the leaders in conversion optimization.
- Where: Seattle
- When: 7/15/19 – 7/17/19
- Why: By digital standards, Moz is a bit of a dinosaur. More aptly put they are like the alligator that traces its routes to the dinosaurs but managed to evolve rather than go by the wayside. Discover actionable, tactical advice from incredibly successful SEO gurus, including Moz founder Rand Fishkin and Microsoft’s Christi Olson.
September Events Focused On Marketing Essentials
Fall is the final push for content strategists as they seek to capitalize on upcoming holidays, while simultaneously planning for the year to come.
- Who: Marketing and advertising professionals who want to attend at least one of the 290+ events.
- What: Marketing and advertising in one of the industry’s most forward-thinking, innovative, and inspiring cities. Let the Mad Men references begin.
- Where: New York, NY
- When: 9/23/19 – 9/26/19
- Why: The range of speakers last year is reason enough to attend 2019 Advertising Week New York. However, networking, relevant takeaways, and 290+ events are close contenders for the top reason any content strategist should attend.
October Brings Creative Inspiration
October represents a time for reflection, especially for the fresh young faces that want to become industry game-changers.
- Who: Young leaders, founders, and creators from all walks of life.
- What: A wide range of industries including but not limited to tech, finance, food, philanthropy, and entertainment.
- Where: Detroit
- When: 10/27/19 – 10/30/19
- Why: It’s your chance to pitch investors à la Shark Tank style. Immerse yourself in a city that has been reborn. Enjoy listening to amazingly influential and inspiring individuals who can help you to rethink your creative stories, such as tennis legend Serena Williams.
Wrap Up The Year At November Events
Apply what you’ve learned and network with some of the best as you prepare for Thanksgiving feasts.
- Who: Brand marketers, agencies, and vendors interested in cracking the secrets to brand ambassadors, brand cohesiveness, and essentially everything to do with fine-tuning brand marketing.
- What: Brand marketing tidbits from some of the top leaders.
- Where: Palm Springs, CA
- When: 11/3/19 – 11/6/19
- Why: Speakers from top consumer brands, such as Citi, who have discovered the art of representing the consumer in their brand messages.
- Who: Thought leaders, strategists, and creative executives within the publishing and brand marketing sectors.
- What: Take a trip abroad to discover heightened insights into native advertising and branded content on a global scale.
- Where: Berlin, Germany
- When: 11/11/19 – 11/13/19
- Why: Make 2020 the year that your organization develops a global advertising campaign. Glean insights from more than 40 international speakers on best practice approaches to native marketing.
Fast Forward To CMC 2020
By the time the year has come to an end, you’ll already be looking forward to CMC 2020. If 2019 is any indicator, the 2020 conference is sure to include plenty of laughs, actionable insights, and the opportunity to network with industry leaders and talented individuals from across the country. For those of you who like to save a bit, and have aptly planned ahead, feel free to grab your tickets to CMC 2020 before they are all gone.
Laura P. has written 5,000+ articles, blog posts, product reviews, press releases, and website content for a multitude of clients. In the past 8 years, she has developed written, marketing, video, and web content for clients in the real estate, cyber security, health and beauty, information technology, restaurant, auto, finance, retail, medical, law, equine sales, fashion, marketing (affiliate marketing, digital marketing, in-print marketing, and the entire marketing industry at large), oil and gas, and public relations industries. Laura is highly proficient in SEO optimization, particularly in the real estate and retail industries. She ghost wrote IT white papers, government contract task orders, RFIs, and RFPs that resulted in millions of dollars won.