Five Tips for Success When Working with a New Writer
As a small business owner, you may find that at some point in your business you need to hire a writer. A writer can help build your website, populate your blog or work up a direct marketing campaign. However, it can be nerve wracking to trust new writers to put your thoughts, plans and dreams into words. The following tips can help make the process easier and allow you to get the results you desire.
- Choose the Right Writer – Each writer is different. Some writers are talented at creating blog posts but struggle at marketing copy, while other writers may be able to write amazing content about pets but balk at composing a document about computers. Find a writer who understands your particular project and can create the content you need.
- Start Small – When testing out a new writer, consider sending one piece first and then evaluating it…before you embark on a huge project. By doing this, you can make sure the writer is the right fit and that you will not wind up in a situation that spirals out of control.
- Make Your Needs Known – Writers are not mind readers. Spend some time thinking about your content needs and put your needs into words. If you provide your new writer with enough information, he or she will experience better success with creating your needed content.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Revisions – When working with a writer, revisions are a big part of the package. If you are careful in the revision process , you can make certain you get the results you need without offending your writer. After all, professional writers understand that not every piece of copy will be perfect the first time.
- Provide Feedback – In every step of the writing process, provide feedback. Let your writer know what you like and don’t like. Only by doing this will he or she know what needs to change and how to provide even better work in the future.
Now that you have a few ideas on how to best work with your new writers, you can get started with your first project. Dive in and remember that communication is the key to success when working with a writer. If you are willing to communicate you will find that you are more likely to get content that perfectly fits your needs—and develop a great working relationship with a writer who can help you with additional projects down the road.
Tracy S is a freelance writer available on WriterAccess, a marketplace where clients and expert writers connect for assignments.