Exceptional content performance is the end goal for businesses looking to increase their sales and generate revenue. Each piece of content has a job to do, and that job is to be a valuable marketing asset designed to have a positive impact on its readers.
Well-prepared written content is a prime way for businesses to get their message to the world about the company and what it has to offer.
Whether the organization is selling products or goods, providing specialized services, or establishing itself as a reputable authority in a specific field, how the content impacts the reader is important.
Performing Content – What Does That Mean?
One might think that performing content means it is in some way moving about on the website and putting on a show for the readers. While this is an entertaining concept, it is one that is handled by interactive advertisements.
In the business world, written content that “performs” well in several evaluated categories means it ranks favorably in those categories. It is the end result of what those marketing a business’s products, services, or brand are attempting to achieve.
In order to know how these categories are affecting visitors to a page, there are certain metrics that are used to measure content performance.
Below are some of the most important metrics used by marketing teams to analyze how well the content is, or is not, performing. These include:
- Traffic generation
- SEO ranking
- Sales increase
- Returning customers
- Social media
- Click-through rate
- Content that performs well increases the traffic to the business’s website. This is measured by how many visitors/users access the page on which the content appears. Measurements here include the overall number of page views for each piece of content, as well as the number of unique page views – or the number of visits by a single user.
- The point of well-written content utilizing applicable SEO tools and practices is to generate traffic from search engines. Specific keyword phrases incorporated into the page content factor into where the page is listed on the search engine results page (SERP).
Sales or Conversions
- With content generating more traffic, the company hopes to see an increase in the percentage of sales or conversions. This depends on what your website is offering, which might be ordering products directly from the website, scheduling an appointment, or signing up for the company’s newsletter.
Returning Visitors and Customers
- The content is also designed to promote brand awareness, elevating the brand to a voice of authority. This gives visitors confidence in the company, often transforming them into repeat visitors and/or customers.
Social Media Impact
- Well-performing content should inspire the reader to click the share button on your webpage to share their experience with others on social media platforms. When a reader takes the time to click the share button, it validates that the content was found to be valuable, and the reader wants to share the helpful content with others.
Click-Through Rate (CTR)
- A high click-through rate of the ads can lead to better Quality Scores for the company, which can mean lower costs for maintaining ads or better placement of new ads on the search engine page.
- The more traffic and repeat visitors the content can generate, the more opportunities the page content has for generating more revenue.
What Makes Good Content Performance?
No matter how well-written a piece of content may appear on a website, it needs to do more than simply provide a good read. It needs to be absorbed, understood, and used by the reader in a way that meets the overall objectives and goals.
Analyzing content is the only way a company will know if those objectives and goals are being met.
A well-thought-out piece of content that provides the information the reader is searching for is the first step when the goal is promoting a business.
Including links to additional content pages on the website encourages visitors to linger longer on the website. This can lead to buying items, clicking additional links for more information, subscribing to a newsletter or other type of communication, and sharing their experience with others on social media platforms.
There are several metric evaluation tools available, such as Google Analytics, Yoast, and SEMrush, which analyze, track, and make recommendations. These tools provide pertinent information, such as whether a page has improved, remained the same, or dropped in its search engine ranking.
Evaluating the performance of a page of content is an important step in a company’s overall content marketing strategy. It’s essential to understand that content has a direct effect on where the business stands, and it can help a company navigate its journey to success.
To get started promoting your business with content written by a professional writer who knows how to engage readers and keep them coming back for more, sign up for a free trial at WritersAccess. You’ll find advanced tools, training and more than 15,000 talented freelancers at your service.